Dr. Jason Dean Arnold
Ed.D. in Educational Leadership, University of North Florida, 2014
M.Ed. in Educational Leadership, University of North Florida, 2002
B.A. in Elementary and Early Childhood Education, University of North Florida, 1996
Awarded Outstanding Student of the Educational Leadership Graduate Program, 2003
Director of E-Learning, Technology, and Communications
2016-Current, University of Florida College of Education
In the current role of Director of E-Learning, Technology and Communications, I lead a talented and multifaceted team in the development of undergraduate and graduate courses, digital content, and software applications that creatively enhance teaching and learning online at the University of Florida’s College of Education. The online graduate master’s programs have been ranked #1 or #2 in the nation by U.S. News and World Report for the last six years.
Associate Director of E-Learning, Technology, and Creative Services
2015-2016, University of Florida College of Education
Learning Systems Architect/ Program Design and Development
2010-2015, University of Florida College of Education
- Directing Course Redesign Filming Projects
- Online M.Ed. in Educational Leadership– Co-lead of website redesign and director/producer of video content development. Production of filmed interview content with school leaders, superintendents, and state representatives.
- Florida STEM TIPS (Teacher Induction and Professional Support)– Project manager and technology development lead for the project, funded by the Florida Department of Education. Tasks included initial user experience and interface design, wire-framing, application testing and deployment, video direction and editing, and marketing. Facilitated discussion and created the logic model for the project. Support the project on social media, creative design, and provide data analytics. Co-author on article: STEM TIPS: Supporting the Beginning Secondary STEM Teacher (DOI: 10.1007/s11528-016-0052-5).
- University of Florida Online Dual Enrollment– Program design and development, marketing, and strategic planning for university-district partnerships.
- Early Learning Florida– Led and co-designed the learning experience, user interface adjustments, and facilitated the direction of video/photography/animations (and ancillary development) of six standards-based professional development courses for the Florida Office of Early Learning. The final product included embedded activities for communities of practice.
- UFTeach Website Redesign and Marketing- Lead of website redesign and social marketing of the program.
- LOCUS (Levels of Conceptual Understanding in Statistics, funded by National Science Foundation)– Led the technology needs analysis, wrote initial specifications, and recruited web development team for final testing platform product.
- IPI Data Dashboard– Led the design and wire-framing, development, and implementation of the final product and iPod Touch app.
- Synchronous Web Events
- District Inquiry Showcases– Created the system for collecting district-level inquiry showcase projects using web tools. These collections were designed to be printed as individual district inquiry programs.
- Wire-framing Websites– Including: STEM TIPSand Algebra Nation
- Teaching– EDA6061 Educational Organization and Leadership (Online)
Data Design and Development Program Specialist (PK20 Collaborative Initiatives and Web Tool Design for Leadership Teams)
2009-2010, North East Florida Educational Consortium (NEFEC)
- NEFEC Model for School Improvement (an online instructional tool and management system)- Designed and facilitated the development of the web-enabled prototype (overall user experience and usability). Screens of final product
- NEFEC FCAT Data Navigator– Co-designed user interface, user experience, and data model for final product. FCAT Data Navigator screens
- Professional Development Specialist– Designed and delivered professional development activities (onsite and online) for school leadership teams and teacher leaders in aligning curriculum to teaching standards (Common Core and SSS), designing instruction, analysing data, and developing and delivering assessments.
- Testing Coordinator– Led the design and implementation of interim assessments using Thinkgate as customizable software solution.
- Evaluation Facilitator– Co-evaluated professional development offerings and data analysis tools for 15 member districts. Co-designed methodology for internal evaluation of programs.
- Online Community-based Training Follow-up– Co-designed (user experience and instructional design) online collaborative communities, professional development courses, and resource repositories using Blackboard, Ning, Blogger, and Wikispaces.
- Social Media Management and Advocacy– Created and monitored NEFEC social media presence and participation.
Program Training and Design Specialist (Principal Leadership and School Reform)
2005-2009, North East Florida Educational Consortium (NEFEC)
- NEFEC Principal Leadership Academy– Led the design of NEFEC’s Principal Leadership Academy with superintendents and the State of Florida’s Department of Education (based on best practices in leadership and the Florida Principal Leadership Standards). Developed and updated the NEFEC Principal Leadership Academy web presence, including website authoring, social marketing, news blasts, and podcast creation.
- W.C. Golden Statewide Leadership Professional Development Model– Compiled and wrote the state publication, Florida’s Plan for Developing and Supporting Quality School Leadership to assist districts in the design and implementation of principal leadership development programs. Final product
- Professional Development Training Specialist– Designed and facilitated the delivery of training experiences that enhance school-based leadership teams. Co-developed and delivered statewide training in literacy leadership for Just Read, Florida! for principals and their leadership teams.
- W.C. Golden Professional Development Program for School Leaders-Co-development of online and face-to-face deliverables for the following W.C. Golden Leadership Grants: DELTA (Developing Educational Leaders for Tomorrow’s Achievers) and WCG Years 2-4 (Deliverables include the original design and online framework for the website, the co-design of the original Classroom Walk-Through Online Support Tool, the Principal Leadership Standards Inventory, the Florida Continuous Improvement Model Online Support Tool, and the W.C. Golden Human Resources Module).
- District Leadership Plan Consultation– Worked closely with fifteen districts to design their individual leadership plans and gain state approval.
- Certified as SREB Trainer in Literacy Leadership (2006)
English and Reading Teacher
2003-2005, Palatka High School
- Taught English Honors (9th-10th grade) and Intensive Reading Intervention classes (9th-12th grade).
- Florida Reading Initiative trainer (Just Read, Florida! And North East Florida Educational Consortium).
- Junior class sponsor and prom designer for 2004 and 2005.
Elementary School Teacher
1996-2003, Kelley Smith Elementary School
- Florida Reading Initiative certification (2002)
- Technologist of the Year (2001)
- Georgia-Pacific Mini-Grant for Multicultural Education (1999)
- State of Florida Department of Education Professional Educator’s Certificate (ID #770264)
Educational Leadership (All Levels)
Elementary Education (Grades 1-6)
English (Grades 6-12)
- CITI Certificate of Completion for IRB- Group 2 Social Behavioral Researcher Investigators and Key Personnel
Memberships & Affiliations
American Educational Research Association
Selected Professional Publications and Presentations
Bylund CL, Wollney EN, Campbell-Salome G, Applebaum AJ, Paige SR, DeGruccio K, Weiss E, Sae-Hau M, Arnold J, Durante D, Amin TB, Hampton CN, Fisher CL. Improving Clinical and Family Communication for Adult Child Caregivers of a Parent With a Blood Cancer: Single-Arm Pre-Post Pilot Intervention. JMIR Cancer 2022;8(3):e38722. doi: 10.2196/38722
Arnold, J., Lane, H., & Lane, P. (2016). Enhancing Teacher Preparation Online through Video-based Modeling and Feedback. Presentation for the Florida Association of Teacher Educators (FATE) Annual Conference.
Laframenta, J., Jones, G., Adams, T., Dana, T., & Arnold, J. D. (March, 2016). STEM TIPS: Supporting the beginning secondary STEM teacher. Tech Trends Journal. DOI: 10.1007/s11528-016-0052-5
Arnold, J. D., Mousa, B., & McCoy, D. (2015). Legacy, Leadership, and Change: Innovative Strategies for School Principal Preparation Online. Paper presented at 8th Annual Emerging Technologies for Online Learning. Dallas, TX.
Arnold, J. D. (2014). Leadership Style and Readiness to Lead: Perceptions of Florida Level 1 Educational Leadership Preparation Program Participants. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. University of North Florida, Jacksonville. Abstract
Arnold, J. D. (2014). Florida STEM Teacher Induction & Professional Support: A Systematic and Intentional Statewide Approach for Online Mentoring. Paper presented at the Annual Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education International Conference. Jacksonville, Fl.
Arnold, J. D., & Jones, T. Griffith (2013). Florida STEM Teacher Induction & Professional Support: Building a System to Support Organic Professional Growth. Paper presented at the 19th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference. Orlando, Florida.
McCoy, D. S., & Arnold, J. D. (2012). Online Professional Development for Early Childhood Educators: Employing Technology to Transform Practice. Paper presented at the 2012 National Smart Start Conference. Greensboro, NC.
McCoy, D. S., & Arnold, J. D. (2011). Scaffolding for Sophistication in the Online World: User Design for Professional Development. Paper presented at the 17th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning. Orlando, FL.
Arnold, J. D. (2008). Florida’s Plan for Developing and Supporting Quality School Leadership: W.C. Golden Professional Development Program for School Leaders. Florida Department of Education publication for district leaders.
Arnold, J. D. (2007). Principals’ Perceptions of the Relevance of Leadership Standards to Professional Practice: Implications for Professional Development. Paper presented at Southwestern Educational Research Association Annual Conference. San Antonio, TX.
Arnold, J. D. (2006). Principal Inquiry and Mentoring: A Model Leadership Academy. Design paper presented at the Annual National Staff Development Council Conference. Nashville, TN.
More Publications and Presentations
Arnold, J. D. (February, 2010). NEFEC Model for School Improvement. Design presented to the Florida Senate (K12 Ed Appropriations Committee) and the Florida House of Representatives (House PreK-12 House Appropriations Committee). Tallahassee, Fl.
Arnold, J. D. (2008). W.C. Golden Principal Leadership Standards Inventory. Design presented at the Florida Educational Technology Conference. Orlando, Fl
Arnold, J. D. (2007). Leadership Tools Online. W.C. Golden Leadership Institute. Design and application presented at Just Read, Florida! Annual Conference. Orlando, Fl.
Arnold, J. D. (2007). North East Florida Educational Consortium Principal Leadership Academy Model- Small and Rural Leadership Development. Design presented at K12 Conference and Innovations Fair. Orlando, Fl.
Arnold, J. D. (2007). Classroom Walk-Through Online Support Tool Essentials. Design and application presented at the Annual Florida Educational Technology Conference. Orlando, Fl.
Arnold, J. D. (2006). NEFEC’s Principal Leadership Academy: Florida’s Principal Leadership Standards and Professional Development. Design presented at Florida Department of Education/ Florida Association of School Administrators/ Florida Association of Instructional Supervisors and Administrators Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Conference. Daytona Beach, Fl.
Arnold, J. D. (2006). Q-Methodology Design Used in Determining Principal Perceptions of the New Florida Principal Leadership Standards: A Pilot Study. Paper presented at Southwestern Educational Research Association Annual Conference. Austin, TX.
Selected and Related Independent Academic Coursework
2013- Teaching Multiliteracies (LAE6348- University of Florida)
2012- Multiliteracies and the Internet (LAE6865- University of Florida)
2005- Administration in Higher Education (EDA6990- University of North Florida)
2003- Psychology/Sociology of the Exceptional Learner (EEX3202- University of North Florida)
2003- Film as Literature (ENG4105- University of North Florida)
2003- Psychology of Abnormal Behavior (CLP4143- University of North Florida)
2003- Art after 1940 (ARH3470- University of North Florida)
Selected Creative Publications and Performances
Arnold, J.D. (2020). “Longfellow” at Straight Forward Poetry
Arnold, J. D. (2019). “When You Hear Music (revised)”– Bone & Ink Press
Arnold, J. D. (2019). “Fragile, Fluctuating Center” ,“When You Hear Music”, and “Viewing a Live Photo of You on My iPhone at Work” at OPEN: Journal of Arts and Letters
Arnold, J. D. (2018). “From the Former Home of General Robert E. Lee” in The Cerurove, Issue 3
Arnold, J. D. (2018). “Inheritance” in Bone & Ink Press, June
Arnold, J. D. (2018). “Articulations Between Things Said” in Buddy Lit Zine, Issue 3
Arnold, J. D. (2017). While This Human Engine Waits. Epigraph Digital Chapbook Series #2.
Arnold, J. D. (2017). “Seine” in Convergence Journal, Summer 2017
Arnold, J. D. (2017). “Fragment for Felix” in Convergence Journal , Spring 2017
Arnold, J. D. (2017). Poem in Straight Forward Poetry (Issue 12), Spring 2017
Arnold, J. D. (2016). “Somewhere Blue & Weightless” in Convergence: An Online Journal of Poetry and Art, Spring, 2016
Arnold, J. D. (2016).“Rate of Change (After Viewing Ian Johnston’s Installation, Fish Tales)” at the Museum of Contemporary Art-Jacksonville or MOCA Blog, February 16, 2016
Arnold, J. D. (2015).“Hotel Orlando” in Straight Forward Poetry (Issue 10), Winter 2015
Arnold, J. D. (2015). “Several Correlations Appeared in the Data” in Aqueous Magazine (Winter 2015 Print Issue)
Arnold, J. D. (2015). “1525 Stonebriar Rd” in Convergence: An Online Journal of Poetry and Art, Fall.
Arnold, J. D. (2015). Two poems upcoming in Bridge Eight, Issue 2 (Print Only), August.
Arnold, J. D. (2015). “To Establish a Factual Basis for Understanding the Mechanics of the Environment” in Cruel Garters (Issue 6, Print Only), June 2015.
Arnold, J. D. (2015). “The Initial Stage in Analysis Involves Perception” in Poehemians, Summer 2015.
Arnold, J. D. (2015). Two Poems in Wilderness House Lit Review, April 2015.
Arnold, J. D. (2015). “Night Pilot” in Words Apart Magazine, March 2015.
Arnold, J. D. (2015). “To Give Experience in Precise Observations and Measurements.” Published in Cruel Garters Poetry Journal, Spring.
Arnold, J. D. (2015). Three Poems. Published in Underground Books, Spring.
Arnold, J. D. (2015). “Lois Always Sings Off Key.” Published by Straight Forward Poetry (Issue 8), January.
Arnold, J. D. (2014). Poem Written from a Poem Written in a Copy of Beowulf by Borges published by Epigraph Magazine, Fall.
Arnold, J. D. (2014). “Biting My Nails” published by The Brooklyn Voice, Fall.
Arnold, J. D. (2014). Late published by Radius Lit, Fall.
Arnold, J. D. (2014). Two Poems. Two poems published in The Squawk Back, Summer.
Arnold, J. D. (2014). Revisionism. Poem published in Five Quarterly’s blog, Spring.
Arnold, J. D. (2014). Salt & Monkey Puzzle. Two poems published in NNATAN, Spring.
Arnold, J. D. (2014). Wetlands. Poem published in Convergence Journal, Spring.
Arnold, J. D. (2014). Under Manhattan. Poem published in The Brooklyn Voice, Spring.
Arnold, J. D. (2013). Amplifier. Poem published in NNATAN, Issue 2, Summer.
Arnold, J. D. (2013). Haunting. Poem published in Yorick Magazine, Summer.
Arnold, J. D. (2013). Two Poems. Published in Icebox Journal, Spring.
Arnold, J. D. (2013). Three Poems. Short portfolio published in Iridum Sound, Spring.
Arnold, J. D. (2013). For Anna. Painting-in-process and interview published in Draft: The Journal of Process, April.
Arnold, J. D. (2012). Occupation. Poem published in Convergence Journal, Winter.
Arnold, J. D. (2012). Weightless: Poems self-published, Spring 2012.
Arnold, J. D. (2010) Unrecognizable Beauty: Composed for Seven Musicians. Composition and direction. Jacksonville Museum of Contemporary Art (Composed and Performed in May, 2010).
Lunberry, C., Arnold, J. D., Brock, J., & McCoy, D. S. (2007). Fortune and Foment. Musical performance. University of North Florida. Jacksonville, Fl.
Lunberry, C. & Arnold, J. D. (2007) 3 Tracks published w/ EAT 1 produced by Mark Ari. Jason- Field recordings of St. Augustine/contact microphones/guitar/aluminum foil/broken keyboards/musical composition, Clark- writing, spoken word
McCoy, D. S. (2007). 6 Orphans of Russolo. Digitally manipulated solo trumpet performances. University of Florida College of Music and the University of North Florida Art Gallery. Trumpet- Jason Dean Arnold.
Arnold, J. D. (2005). Untitled Painting. AUM Fidelity Records cover art for Palm of Soul, by Kidd Jordan, Hamid Drake, and William Parker (catalogue #AUM038).
Age Group Awards for 2008, 2009, and 2012 Jacksonville Grand Prix (First Place Sports Running)
Fifth Place Overall in 2010 Jacksonville Grand Prix (First Place Sports Running)
Have run over 1,000 racing miles, including three NYC Marathons, one NYC half-marathon, and close to 100 5Ks.